Another stage of the Stardust process: testing out the visual language of the stars.
I took the visual references that I had researched and through the program I created, I used them as silhouettes of the participant’s bodies, in real time. This allowed me to test out the system and to decide along with participants which type of particles or stardust worked best as a visual language.
I used a screen for this test because it would be easier to judge which visual language worked best, and because I haven’t worked on the projection to the body part of the project just yet.
I also tested myself how it felt like to experience Stardust at different stages of the process. As a designer, this gave me a richer insight into what the participants were going through while experiencing the interactive system.
The red particle system didn’t quite communicate “magic” or enchantment. It was fun to try nonetheless.
After testing out with participants, this would be the visual language for the final installation. This type of stardust communicated “magic” and “enchantment” more so than the other examples. Instead of a static image though, it would be a particle system (real-time flocking!).
I observed people’s reactions when experiencing different stages of my project. I discovered that their inhibitions went away and that they even behaved like children, exploring how they moved and making funny gestures. This led me to think they were truly being in the moment.